Although the Hampton Manor is located in South West Berkeley, we are only a mile or so from our bordering neighbors of Oakland and Emeryville. You can visit the following sites to learn more about our neighboring cities. Visit each city’s website for an extensive list of local restaurants and things to do.
- VisitBerkeley.com – great visitor tips and information about Berkeley
- VisitOakland.com– information about the City of Oakland
- City of Emeryville-information about the City of Emeryville
The weather in the Bay Area can change dramatically depending on where you are. It’s best to dress like an onion…that is, in layers.
DIRECTIONS TO THE HAMPTON ART MANOR:
- BART from SFO airport– Take the Pittsburg/Bay Point (YELLOW line) to 19th st. Oakland and transfer to the Richmond (ORANGE line) and get off at Ashby Station.
- BART from OAK airport– Take the Richmond (ORANGE line) line to Ashby station.
- From Ashby BART station – take AC Transit bus 49 from outside the BART station on San Pablo to Mabel St. exit. Walk North up Mabel one block and turn left (West) on Burnett st.
- Catch a Cab– Call Berkeley Yellow Cab at 510-528-9999 OR Do it like a local..get nostalgic and ride in a vintage cab. Call Bay Area Checker Cab at 510-612-6546
- Berkeley Bowl West– a 6 minute walk to the BEST grocery store ever. Also, check out their cafe.
- Walgreens– We are located about 8 houses down…about a 2 minute walk
- Urban Ore – shop their 3 Acre Ecopark Retail Store for building materials, furniture, or fun items and crazy gifts. 8 min walk
- Tribu Cafe– our local cafe between the Compound Gallery and the Hampton Manor. Stop in for a Latte! 8 min walk.
- Chile Jalapeno Taqueria– our favorite local Mexican fare. Check out their outdoor patio in back. 7 min walk.
- Actual Cafe– a great menu and atmosphere. 10 min. walk
- Farley’s on 65th st.-delicious coffee in a quaint neighborhood right next door to The Compound Gallery. 10 min walk.
- James and the Giant Cupcake-best cupcakes ever! Right next to Actual Cafe. 10 min. walk
- Orchard Supply Hardware- just a few feet away for all your household needs. Located at 1025 Ashby Ave, Berkeley, CA 9471. 8 min walk.
- 900 Grayson– deelish breakfast and brunch. 10 min walk.
SOME OF OUR FAVORITE THINGS TO DO: (Scroll to the bottom of the page to see everything on a map)
- The Compound Gallery– Visit your host..just a few blocks away! Our 8,000 sq ft building houses the following under one roof: the Main Gallery features high caliber artists in monthly rotating exhibitions; the Artist’s Gallery showcases the current work of Compound Studio Artists; The Admiral Dot Miniature Gallery– the smallest gallery in the West, and the Art in a Box Headquarters, our monthly art subscription service. We are located on the border of Oakland/Emeryville/Berkeley.
- KALA Art institute-an amazing art resource that just celebrated its 40 year anniversary! KALA is only footsteps away from the Manor and not to be missed. Check out their wonderful gallery, residency, and classes.
- Berkeley Art Museum and Pacific Film Archive– The mission of the UC Berkeley Art Museum and Pacific Film Archive is to inspire the imagination and ignite critical dialogue through art and film.
- Yerba Buena Center for the Arts-one of our favorite cutting edge art spaces in SF
- Oakland Museum– one of the best museums around. Newly renovated with wonderful historical and art related exhibits.
- de Young-Fine arts museums of San Francisco located in Golden Gate Park
- SFMOMA-San Francisco Museum of Mondern Art. Temporarily closed for expansion, but you can check their website for exhibitions at alternative sites around the Bay Area
- Musee Mecanique– We love this place! One of the world’s largest (over 200) privately owned collection of coin-operated mechanical musical instruments and antique arcade machines in their original working condition. (You can play them!) Located on Pier 45 at the foot of Taylor Street in San Francisco’s Fisherman’s Wharf.